Is This Course For You?
If you are unsure whether this course is appropriate for your skill level, then it likely is. If you have never attended formal rifle training (Not including Hunter Safety), then this course is geared for you. Most Hunter Safety Classes do not teach you how to shoot. Finally, if you have never had a basic rifle course and would like to attend advance courses with other firearms instructors, they will need proof of formal Basic Rifle training.
NRA Basics of Rifle Shooting is a one day (8 hour) course intended for all individuals, regardless of previous shooting experience or NRA-affiliation. Course address will be provided upon registration to protect the privacy and safety of our students.
Students will receive the NRA Basics of Rifle Shooting handbook, complete a course of fire, take a written exam, and receive a course completion certificate.
A free and optional shooting clinic will be held after the course for students who want extra coaching.
Top Shot award will be given to the student with the highest score.
You must be legally permitted to handle a firearm to take this course. This does not mean that you need a CCW permit. This means you must not be prohibited from handling a firearm.
Anyone under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent/guardian. Children under the age of 13 are not permitted to attend this course.Pregnant and nursing mothers, please consult your doctor.
- Firearms Safety
- Proper operation of semi-automatic, bolt action, lever action, and other rifle actions
- Ammunition knowledge and selection
- Rifle selection and storage
- Fundamentals of Marksmanship
- Range Rules and Range Etiquette
- Rifle inspection and maintenance
- Continued opportunities for skill development
- And much more
- Continual observation to ensure firearms safety rules are adhered to.
- Training gun practical application (handling, loading, unloading)
- Shooting range qualification course of fire (Benchrest, Standing, Prone)
- NRA Basics of Rifle Shooting written examination
There are no pre-requisites.
- 60 Rounds of target ammunition for Zeroing and Qualification (Please contact us if you don’t know what to get)
- 120 Rounds recommended for free post-course shooting clinic (Optional)
- A reliable rifle/carbine (AR Platform Highly Recommended)
- At least 2 Magazines for your rifle/carbine
- Eye and ear protection
- Note-taking material
- Closed toe shoes
- Seasonal appropriate attire
- Gun case or bag to transfer your pistol to and from the range
- Prescription glasses and contacts if needed for near/far
- No low cut shirts that hot brass casings could fall into
- No refunds for cancellation
- If family or personal emergencies prevent you from attending, you may transfer your registration to a later course date scheduled within one (1) year of the course you originally registered for.
- These terms are subject to change at any time.