Is This Course For You?
This course is geared for experience shooters seeking training and novice shooters who have completed at least one (1) basic level pistol course. This course is for the responsible armed citizen seeking instruction on how to apply basic pistol skillsets in a defensive context. This course is also for Law Enforcement Officers. If you represent any of these groups and you meet the minimum pre-requisites listed below, then we invite you to apply for a training date.
Though this course is not a basic course, we will not neglect the Brilliance In The Basics. The course will commence in the classroom for topics relating to safety, fundamentals, mindset, speed and accuracy, presentation from the holster, and more. Then, we will transition to the range to practically apply concepts discussed in class. As with every DAD course, we will follow the Crawl, Walk, Run method by gradually increasing skill and speed. Students will be evaluated in three ways: 1) Continual observation of safe weapon handling, 2) Written Examination, and 3) Shooting Qualification.
You must be legally permitted to handle a firearm to take this course. This does not mean that you need a CCW permit. This means you must not be prohibited from handling a firearm.
Anyone under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent/guardian. Children under the age of 13 are not permitted to attend this course. Pregnant and nursing mothers, please consult your doctor.
You must complete at least one basic pistol course before attending Defensive Handgun 1. Acceptable basic courses include:
- NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting
- NRA CCW
- USMC Combat Pistol Course (CPP)
- Air Force Pistol Qualification Course
- TN Law Enforcement Training Academy (TLETA) Pistol Course
- Federal Law Enforcement Pistol Course
- Other accredited pistol training (Accreditation will be evaluated on a case by case basis)
- 500 Rounds of FACTORY target ammunition (NO RELOADS)
- A reliable Semi-Automatic Handgun (No AR/AK Pistols or Revolvers)
- 5 or more magazines for your Pistol
- Eye and ear protection
- Note-taking material
- 5 Snap Caps
- Closed toe shoes
- Seasonal appropriate attire
- Gun case or bag to transfer your pistol to and from the range
- Gun oil
- No refunds for cancellation
- If family or personal emergencies prevent you from attending, you may transfer your registration to a later course date scheduled within one (1) year of the course you originally registered for.
- These terms are subject to change at any time.